© PHOTOGRAPHY BY NORBERT WEBER
©All rights reserved (!)
As usual with state buildings, also the Roman fort Divitia remained in sovereign possession.
Emperor Otto III. (983-1002) was Archbishop Heribert (999-1021) here 1002 set up a Benedictine monastery.
The consecrated in 1020 church, initially dedicated to the Salvator and the Blessed Virgin Mary, was a monumental central building, whose massive masonry inside spared six niches and was overshadowed by a dome.
A mighty western building with a large barrel-vaulted vestibule formed the entrance.
This unusual construction of the early 11th century succeeds the domed buildings of the Aachen Palatine Chapel of Charlemagne and St. Gereon, but far surpasses both in dimension.
Archbishop Heribert was buried in 1021 in the church, which received his name in the sequence.
In 1147, the bones of this saint were raised in honor of the altars and placed in a precious shrine (since 1896 in (new) St. Heribert).
1376 was perceived as a threat Heribertskirche destroyed by the Cologne. The obligation imposed on the new building by the Pope was initially fulfilled after 1382, but this was destroyed again in 1393.
The renewed commitment brought to 1400 on the old foundations of the Gothic new building, a towering, octagonal construction with buttresses and pointed roof, inside probably had a dome, similar to the rib construction of St. Gereon had.
Even this monumental domed building was without further comparative examples in its time.
The next destruction by the Cologne took place in 1583 and was only corrected by the existing new building from 1659-63.
Using the old foundation plate, a simpler structure was created, which was kept in a much simpler form than its over-coupled predecessors.
The three-aisled basilica is reminiscent of the slightly overgrown side-nave walls to the unique central buildings of the early 11th and late 14th century, which once dominated here Deutz.
The vaulted basilica of the 17th century is an example of the continuation of gothic forms.
With the secularization of the abbey in 1803, the building went to the parish, which broke off her church St. Urban thereafter.
In 1896, however, (new) St. Heribert the new parish center.
(Old) St. Heribert is used, after eventful history, since the 1990s by the Greek Orthodox community.
The abbey buildings served changing use, since the 1970-73 reconstruction carried out by Karl Band they are a retirement home.